2:38 p.m. - 2004-11-06
Speaking of kitties, I swiped this survey from A Witty Kitty. Thanks, witty...just when I thought there was no hope of a weekend update, I was inspired.
So, without further ado:
1. How did you come up with your fake diaryland moniker? It is kind of a stupid thing. When I first got AIM, I tried about 800 screen names and they were all taken. I didn't want some stupid shit with numbers. "Going loopy" was an expression my college roommate used. That's what I was doing when I tried to come up with an "original" screen name. It wasn't taken. I've been going loopy ever since.
2. Where were you born? Flint, Michigan.
3. Which kid were you in kindergarten? The bossy little nerd. I was one of the only people in my class with library privileges. When I took home the very first book I checked out, my stupid little brother scribbled on each and every page. I had to take it back and pay for it. I was totally mortified.
4. Ever do anything worth putting in the year book in high school? I was in the yearbook a number of times....activities and clubs, oh my. Dork-o-rama. (See below.)
5. What were you mainly known in high school for? I was a theater and choir nerd. I wore a lot of black. I never had a boyfriend, really. I was the straight arrow until senior year, when I discovered booze, weed, and nicotine. Senior year was a lot of fun.
6. What did your parents want you to be when you grew up? My dad alternated between "housewife" (because that is a woman's place) and engineer (because that's what he is.) My mother still hopes I'll be a bestselling author one day.
7. What did you major in in college? Communication. Minor in history. That was my third major...I started out as a vocal music major, switched to journalism for a while, hated their stupid class schedules, and decided on Communication because all of my random shit would count somewhere.
8. Are there any hobbies you are really good at, that if you were "discovered" you could be freakin' famous? Writing. And I'd like to think acting and singing, but I should probably put the bong down on those two. I also totally kick ass at shit like Tetris, Rocket Mania, etc., but I don't think I could get too famous for that...
9. Is there anything that you ever wanted to do but couldn't because of either shyness or bad timing or lack of opportunity? See above on the acting and singing thing. It wasn't so much shyness as insecurity about my appearance (translate: being fat) and thinking I'd end up jumping off a bridge or something because of the rejection. Plus, I tend to compare myself to people a lot, and of course find myself completely untalented in comparison. Can you say "neurotic," boys and girls?
10. What song always makes you happy? I have lots of them. Picking one is so LIMITING....hehehe: Spin Doctors - "Two Princes". Indigo Girls - "Closer to Fine." They Might Be Giants - "Birdhouse in Your Soul." The Beatles - "Ob La Di, Ob La Da." REM - "The End of the World as We Know It." Natalie Merchant - "Life Is Sweet." Michael Penn - "No Myth." Erasure - "Star." Pixies - "Wave of Mutilation." Madonna - "Sky Fits Heaven." Prince - "When Doves Cry." Van Morrison - "Brown Eyed Girl." Four Non Blondes - "What's Up." Janis Joplin - "Me and Bobby McGee." Gloria Gaynor - "I Will Survive." Laura Branigan - "Gloria." Little Shop of Horrors - "Grow for Me." Dynamite Hack - "Boyz in tha Hood." Frankie J - "Sugar Sugar." Dusty Springfield - "Son of a Preacher Man." Tracy Chapman - "She's Got Her Ticket." Sublime - "Santeria." Gin Blossoms - "Hey Jealousy." Elvis Presley - "Kentucky Rain." Billy Joel - "Only the Good Die Young." Counting Crows - "Mr. Jones." Matchbox 20 - "Unwell." Okay. I'll just stop there....
11. What's the single best 24 hour period you've had in the last 5 years? Probably have to say the day GEB and I drove to Dallas to see REM. We ate at my favorite restaurant, the concert was awesome, and we did some good outlet mall shopping on the way back. The weather was gorgeous (it was September), and we drove with the top down the whole way there and back. The only downside was the sunburn.
12. Ever been in a movie or on TV or been part of a national scandal? This is lame...but when I was a freshman in college, a news crew was doing a story about smoking. They were filming on campus in the middle of the freakin' winter. Who knows why. Anyway, I was between classes, sitting on a bench outside the library, having a smoke. They asked if they could film me. I said ok. It was on the news that night....but it gets better. EVERY TIME they do a story about tobacco or smoking now, they USE THAT FOOTAGE. About once a year, people tell me they saw me on the news. Guess I should take that as a compliment, only because I'm still recognizable after 12 years.
13. Ever met any celebrities? No, but I was on a plane with George and Barbara Bush once. I didn't even know (I was in back and they were in front), but my mother told me she saw them get off the plane while she was waiting for me.
15. What is something somebody has taught you either on purpose or inadvertently about life? I would say it's an inadvertent lesson....from GEB. He taught me that, in relationships, actions speak louder than words. For a long time, I felt like he didn't care about me at all, because he never said the words. It was only when he moved away for a while and cried when he was leaving that I realized how much he cared. He always has been there for me, has come running when I needed him, called when he said he would, etc. I didn't realize how valuable these things were until I was involved with Mr. All Talk, No Action a few years later. This knowledge has served me well in a variety of ways....because the "actions speak louder than words" thing pretty much applies to all of your interactions...work, friendships, relationships.
16. What is/are your best physical attribute(s)? Probably my hair and eyes. I get told all the time that people pay good money to turn their hair this color (it's red). I kind of like my calves and ankles, too. They are actually pretty cute (unlike the rest of my body).
17. Who are your favorite artists? Monet, Van Gogh, Chihuly, Annie Liebowitz, MC Escher....and a lot more, but I suck at remembering their names.
18. What is the most frightened you have ever been? One night, I had just barely fallen asleep, and I had this crazy dream. I was in my old apartment (which was really a townhouse), but it had been transplanted onto a cliff by the ocean, and it had all these crazy windows and angles. I dreamed that I was in bed, and that someone broke into the house. He came upstairs to my room. I was paralyzed and could not fight him off. As he was pinning me to the bed, I woke up...but for a few (or a lot, it was all so surreal) seconds, I could not move. It was like someone was really pinning me down. When I finally shook that off, I went and spent the night at a friend's house. I was just shaking.
19. What's your idea for a reality television show? Please, no more reality TV...but if we had to, I suggest a show that lets the executives switch places with their assistants and see how well the company runs.
20. What is the most unusual pet you'd ever had? I just had normal pets...cats, dogs, hamsters, fish. My friend had a ferret, and another friend had a chinchilla. I didn't like them. They were icky. The chinchilla was kinda cute and soft, but it was totally psycho, so it wouldn't let you really play with it or anything.